News Archive

Update on Setanta Insurance and MIBI Appeal

On Thursday, May 25th 2017 the Supreme Court overturned a previous ruling that the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland (MIBI) was to be held liable for the outstanding claims against Setanta.  As a result of the Supreme Court’s recent ruling, 65% of claims will be paid from the State’s Insurance Compensation Funds (ICF) and the remainder (35%) will be paid by the State Liquidator.

The State Insurance Compensation Fund has now commenced making payments of up to 65% of claims directly to Plaintiffs. 

For further details of the Supreme Court judgment please see 

Mary Cashin

20th September 2017


This information is intended as a guide only and does not purport to be a legal interpretation. While every care is taken to ensure a quality service, Cashin & Associates does not give any guarantees, undertakings or warranties concerning the accuracy, completeness or up-to-date nature of information provided. Users are responsible for confirming information from the full text from published sources. 


Cashin & Associates Solicitors,
3 Francis Street, Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland
Dublin Office: 64 Francis Street, Dublin 8
T: 00 353 65 6840060  F: 00 353 65 6840034